Sunday, October 30, 2011

"But you're always so happy!"

Just yesterday, a friend of mine was complaining to me how exhausted he was because he didn't get to sleep in. I replied, telling him how I was in the same condition. "But you're always so happy!" He said that as though my happiness completely invalidated my exhaustion and I was astonished at his thought process. This dialogue set me off on a long train of thought.

I am often told that I am always bright and cheerful, as though that means that my life is perfect. I had to realize that I often use this very idea as a mask. I hide behind the fact that people assume I'm sunny all the time, so that, as long as I keep smiling, no one knows that there is anything less than perfect going on in my heart.

I was also shocked the way in which he treated joy, as though it is rare and only certain people have it. My friend claims Christ as his own, as do many of my other friends who see joy in the same way. Have we not much to be joyful for? Almost every time people ask me why I seem so happy for no apparent reason, I have to reply, "Because Jesus loves me!". I have been redeemed! I am no longer an ugly, filthy, disgusting, broken, battered human being! I am an heir to the inheritance the omnipotent, eternal God has for us! I have been made pure, so that I don't have to be ashamed any longer! Today, in the text for the sermon, 1 Peter 2:9-10 was brought up:

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness, into his marvelous light; for you once were not a people, but now you are the people of God; you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."

I am chosen! I am of a people for God's own possession! I have been called into His marvelous light! I have gone from not being a people, having no real identity, to being of the people of the Most High! I did not have a purpose, but now I have the most awesome purpose ever!!!! Are we so immune to Christ's love that we cannot feel this joy? That we cannot even ask the Holy Spirit who is living right there inside of us to fill us up with it? Joy is abundant and free! We have only to ask!

7 comments:

  1. Yes. i agree- i like so much what you say here Anne Marie. I also think about how when i'm not feeling well or bad things happen- i can still find joy in giving to others. If i can bless others with a smile and a kind word- then i feel His joy in me- even if things are not going well for me... I have always appreciated your sweet smile whenever you come around... Love you- Mrs. McGee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because you look happy does not mean you are not exhausted. Just means you're better at wearing a mask than most people.

    Thanks for posting this, Anne Marie. It is so true (but many people fail to realize it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thInk joyfulness is so very important, and I am learning it firsthand right now, but recently I've also realized the importance of honesty within the body of Christ. We need to be joyful and cheerful, but we also need to be honest about our struggles so that as a body, we can help each other - does that make sense? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ doveinturkey - That's a good point. I had forgotten about that aspect of joy, but it is very true and a good deal of my joy comes from being able to give to others. Thank you for your faithful encouragement. :-)

    @ Annie - Yeah, it is an issue that has been brought up in my life quite often recently, so I thought the Holy Spirit might be trying to tell me something.

    @ Marillie - I agree. I have also been learning to be honest with people more often. However, there is a point where we become too honest. My brothers and sisters don't need to feel every single burden of mine when I am having a particularly emotional time. I think it is important for myself to find a balance between telling everyone about the bad day I'm having and keeping my critical spiritual struggles out of everyone's prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The knowledge of when to share and when to refrain often comes with maturity. It helps to see where the other person is before you decide. If they have a large burden of their own, it might be better to pray with them instead of sharing one of your own. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, good point. I knew there was a basis for the discernment, but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the Church as a whole is lacking in joy because people do nothing fully understand what they are being saved from. Not that any of us will completely comprehend but the little part that we can realize of the salvation that Lord has provided and continues to provide should be enough to cause us to be exuberant. God has done so much for us and we can count on Him to keep on loving us. :)

    ReplyDelete