Sunday, March 3, 2013

"sensible"

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age.
Titus 2:11-12

This passage was brought to my attention this morning in Sunday School, and it rather startled me, because the word "sensible" isn't necessarily one that is commonly connected with New Testament ideas. In the New Testament, we find radical actions, such as selling everything you have to give to the church, or giving up your career, family, and social standing to minister nomadically to churches around the world. "Sensible" doesn't really seem to fit into the picture. In fact, "sensible" seems to kill the excitement of it all.  Now, for myself, I am not a particularly sensible person, so I always liked the idea of christians being a bunch of crazies that no one can understand, because I wouldn't have to explain why I just blew a hundred bucks for someone's birthday. "Oh, she's a christian, you know how they are. Money means nothing to them! They should all be homeless by now!" Is there some validity to this kind of "christian foolishness"? Of course! Nothing we have is really ours, as I'm sure you've heard. We are supposed to surrender everything we have and everything we are to the cause of Christ. But I know for myself at least, I don't do it for the cause of Christ all the time. I do it for good reasons, like because I love someone and I want them to know that, or such, and I'm not saying it's wrong to do that. In fact, I'm one of the biggest advocates for that kind of love that you will ever meet, but I realized that I don't do it for Christ alot of the time. I do it because it makes me happy. And, it hasn't really occurred to me, until today, that God might actually have a better purpose for my resources and time than I do. What I'm saying is, living recklessly FOR CHRIST isn't an excuse for me to be the natural idiot that I am. He can use that stupidity for His glory, but it is my duty to discern whether I'm doing something that God really wants me to be doing, or something that I just feel like doing. *Sigh* I don't know whether I'm preaching to the choir and I'm the only idiot who has this issue, or whether this is actually a relevant topic, but I just wanted to share my new knowledge. Again, I'm not trying to say that we shouldn't live radically for Christ - I'm just saying we should do it for a purpose, and not confuse our own ideas with God's. God is sensible, and we should be, too, in whatever way that applies to us. For me, obviously it's money, but it may be something else for you, or maybe it doesn't even apply to you. I don't know. I'm rambling. I'm going to stop now.  :P 

4 comments:

  1. Yes. You made perfect sense. Thanks for this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post Anne Marie. God did give us a brain to use. I think you are right that sometimes we do things in the name of Christ, when really we are just being reckless without thinking through what He wants us to do. He does tell us to "love our neighbor" - in fact that is the greatest commandment. But sometimes we need to be sure that our love for our friends isn't like the tax collector and pharisees. They love their own, who love them back. We should love them, but are we forgetting to love the helpless (as in the Good Samaritan story) or the enemy (as in the Two Debtors story). Those are two stories about who we are to love and how....Jesus answered the question: How much should i forgive and Who is my neighbor there.
    So i think you are hitting on something important.
    Love you!
    Auntie Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mrs. McGee! Those were some points i meant to get to, but my brain wasn't functioning (and yet i felt competent enough to write a blog post...?), and i'm very glad you brought that up. I love you and thank you so much for your input!

    ReplyDelete