Saturday, December 11, 2010

Unwanted Gifts

Have you ever received a gift that you didn't want? I remember once I got a huge case of makeup from my neighbors for Christmas when I was eleven years old. To start off with, I wasn't allowed to wear makeup! And I didn't care about makeup or see what the point of it was (how much wiser I was then...). But what about spiritual gifts? I recently discovered that people generally are encouraged or enlightened and act upon devotions or Bible studies that I have been asked to lead. Those of you who have heard me and don't agree that I am gifted in this area, I heartily desire to agree with you. You see, I hate speaking in public. I hate doing anything in front of lots of people (except acting). I hate leading or standing out. And I'm naturally terrified of people in general. However, I was asked to lead a Bible Study for the first time a few weeks ago, and found people applying the lesson that I had taught on. I was encouraged until I received two more invitations to speak soon after that. I didn't want to. But I knew that if I could serve God in that way, I should. Why I am I talking about this now? Because I presented the story of Jesus at a Christmas party tonight to roomful of saved and unsaved girls. And I felt like I'd failed miserably. I had stuttered and my voice was tentative and I felt like I'd jumped all over the place without good connections and I forgot words and how to form sentences and the list goes on and on...
I talked to my mother (who had been there) about it in the car ride home, and told her I felt like Moses (from the Bible). She said "Why? Because you were the go-between for those girls to God?" That was definitely not what I was thinking. I was referring to how inadequate he felt because of his speech problems and timidity. However, in spite of myself, I think God used me. My mother and some of my friends and unsaved people told me that I put things in a way they hadn't thought of and I was really clear and engaged people well. (NOTE TO READERS: I am NOT saying ANY of this to get praise or glory or boast; PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT. I'm simply sharing what's been on my heart and mind.)

All this to say: if God has given you a gift or a talent that you are not comfortable with, He will not leave you on your own to figure out how to use it. So don't ignore your calling. He will be with you, even if you think you've messed up. Any thoughts, corrections, expoundings?

4 comments:

  1. The moment you think you've got it down is the moment you truly fail. When you start to warm up and feel more confident, fix firmly in your mind that it's because the Lord is blessing you and not because you know what you're doing. I've experienced the same thing you're talking about. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yeah, it's not something I want to get too confident in, I've noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Anne. I didn't think you were being proud. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's encouraging to know that you understand me well enough so I don't have to try to explain myself further. :)

    ReplyDelete